Verses of John 8
John 8:14 Commentary - Garner-Howes Baptist Commentary
1) "Jesus answered and said unto them," (apekrithe lesous kai eipen autois) "Jesus replied openly and directly to them," regarding their assertion, knowing what was in man, Joh 2:24-25.
2) "Though I bear record of myself, yet my record is true:" (kan ego marturo peri emautou alethes estin he marturia mou) "Even if I do witness or testify concerning myself (in my own behalf) my witness is true, genuine, or legal," for He is the way, the truth, and the life.
3) "For I know whence I came and whither I go;" (hoti oida pothen elthon kai pou hupago) "Because I know whence I came (from where) and where I go," Joh 8:42; Joh 16:28, that He had come from the Father, (a thing they did not know or comprehend) and where He was going, both to the cross and back to the Father, 1Ti 3:16; 2Co 8:9; He knew His origin, incarnation, and future work, Joh 7:28-29.
4) "But ye cannot tell whence I come," (humeis de ouk oidate pothen erchomai) "However you all do not know from where I came," of my own accord, from my Father, Joh 5:43. For they were "offended at Him," caused to stumble at His claim to be the Son of God, the Messiah-Redeemer, Mar 6:3; Mat 11:6; 1Pe 2:7-8; Joh 17:11.
5) "And whither I go." (e pou hupago) "Or where I go," or am about to go, back to my Father, Joh 17:4-5; He knew that He had come from and was returning to the Father, a thing they did not know or accept, Joh 13:3; Joh 20:17.
Verses of John 8
Consult other comments:
Garner-Howes Baptist Commentary
The Garner-Howes Baptist Commentary of the Whole Bible was originally published as a 23-volume set by Albert Garner (principal author) along with J. C. Howes, G.F. Crumley, and Eugene Garner in 1985. The Blessed Hope Foundation has released this digital edition into the public domain.