John 17:12 Commentary - Garner-Howes Baptist Commentary
1) "While I was with them in the world," (hoe emen met' auton) "When I was with and among them," was preaching, teaching, and laboring among them, as their protector, friend, and guide.
2) "I kept them in thy name:" (ego eteroun autous en to onomati) I kept them (guarded them as a shepherd or sentinel soldier) in your name," by instruction, encouragement, and guarding them from error, from the beginning of His teaching ministry, begun in the Sermon on the Mount, Mat 5:1 to Mat 7:29.
3) "Those that thou gavest me I have kept," (sou ho dedokas moi kai ephulaksa) "Those which you gave to me I also have guarded, kept, or shielded," against the malicious charges of the Pharisees and Sadducees, for plucking grain and eating it on the Sabbath, and for their eating with unwashed hands, etc., Mat 7:5-23; Mar 2:23-28.
4) "And none of them is lost," (kai oudeis eks auton apoleto) "And not even one of them perished or exists as a lost one," or ever will be, Joh 5:24; Joh 10:27-29; 1Jn 5:13. Would that every shepherd could turn in such a report at the end of his life, 2Ti 4:7-8; 1Pe 5:1-4.
5) "But the son of perdition," (ei me ho huios tes apoleias) "Except the heir-son of perdition," a term meaning "devoted to perdition," that one Jesus identified as "a devil," Judas Iscariot, Joh 6:70-71; Joh 13:2; Joh 13:27.
6) "That the scriptures might be fulfilled." (hina he graphe plerothe) "In order that the scriptures might be fulfilled," as foretold concerning the treachery of the traitor, Judas Iscariot, Psa 41:9; Joh 13:18. But the prophetic Scripture would not have been written, had it not been truly foreseen and disclosed to the prophet, by the Holy Spirit, 2Pe 1:21; Psa 119:160.
Consult other comments:
Garner-Howes Baptist Commentary
The Garner-Howes Baptist Commentary of the Whole Bible was originally published as a 23-volume set by Albert Garner (principal author) along with J. C. Howes, G.F. Crumley, and Eugene Garner in 1985. The Blessed Hope Foundation has released this digital edition into the public domain.