John 14:17 Commentary - Garner-Howes Baptist Commentary
1 ) "Even the Spirit of truth;" (to pneuma tes aletheias) "The comforter or paraclete is the Spirit of truth," Joh 16:13-14, the one who continuously abideth not only in individual believers, sealing them as children of God forever, but also abiding as the comforter, vice-gerent of Christ in and to empower His church forever, Eph 4:30; Luk 24:49; Act 2:4; Joh 5:26; Eph 3:21.
2) "Whom the world cannot receive," (ho kosmos oudunatai labein) "Which one the world order is not able to receive," the unregenerate of humanity, Joh 15:18-19; 1Co 2:14. A world out of harmony with God, in darkness and sin, does not comprehend God, except as it yields to the light of His Word and His call through the Spirit, Joh 6:44.
3) "Because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him;”(hoti ou theorei auto oude ginoskei) "Because it (the world) observes not, nor even knows him," being spiritually ignorant, void of him, and at enmity with my Father, Eph 4:18; 2Co 4:3-4; Rom 8:7-8.
4) "But ye know him;” (humeis ginoskete auto) "You all know him," have experimental knowledge of Him, as believers, disciples, a chosen company of my followers, from the beginning, Joh 15:16; Joh 15:27; as Paul knew Him, and as John knew Him, 2Ti 1:12; 1Jn 3:14; 1Jn 4:7; 1Jn 4:13, whom to know is eternal life, Joh 17:3; 1Jn 5:18.
5) "For he dwelleth with you," (hoti par 'humin memei) "Because he (the spirit of truth) remains along with you all," personally, for "if any man have not the Spirit of Christ he is none of His," Rom 8:9; Joh 3:5; Joh 6:63. To be quickened (made alive) in Christ, by the Spirit, through faith in Christ, is to be a possessor of the Spirit who seals one in Christ unto the resurrection, Eph 1:13-14; Eph 2:1; Eph 2:5; Eph 4:30.
6) "And shall be in you." (kai en humin estai) "And in and among you all (as my church, my disciples) He will be or exist," Joh 14:26, continue to dwell, in a special guiding and empowering manner, in harmony with the Word of truth, Joh 16:13-14; Luk 24:49; Act 1:8; Act 2:4; 1Co 2:8-14.
Consult other comments:
Garner-Howes Baptist Commentary
The Garner-Howes Baptist Commentary of the Whole Bible was originally published as a 23-volume set by Albert Garner (principal author) along with J. C. Howes, G.F. Crumley, and Eugene Garner in 1985. The Blessed Hope Foundation has released this digital edition into the public domain.