John 13:29 Commentary - Garner-Howes Baptist Commentary
1) "For some of them thought," (tines gar edokoun) "For some of or among them thought," some of the disciples, of the church fellowship who traveled with the Lord.
2) "Because Judas had the bag," (epei to glossokomon eichen loudas) "Since Judas held the bag," that held the money for expenses of the disciples.
3) "That Jesus had said unto him," (hoti legei auto lesous) "That Jesus told him" had directed or instructed him, in the whispered conversation, Joh 13:27.
4) "Buy those things that we have need of against the feast;” (agorason hon cheiran echomen eis ten heorten) "Buy the things which we have a need of for the keeping of the Passover," that was now at hand, and perhaps for the whole festival, Exo 12:16; Mat 26:15-16; Mar 14:1-3. That it was possible to buy goods at so late an evening hour is indicated Mat 25:9-11.
5) "Or that he should give something to the poor." (e tois ptochois hina ti do) ''Or in order that he should give something to the poor." It therefore appears that Jesus was accustomed to give orders for the spending of money, Psa 41:1; Proverbs 14-21. The giving to the poor, called giving of alms, was commended of our Lord, Luk 11:41; Luk 12:33, Gal 2:10.
Consult other comments:
Garner-Howes Baptist Commentary
The Garner-Howes Baptist Commentary of the Whole Bible was originally published as a 23-volume set by Albert Garner (principal author) along with J. C. Howes, G.F. Crumley, and Eugene Garner in 1985. The Blessed Hope Foundation has released this digital edition into the public domain.