John 13:1 Commentary - Garner-Howes Baptist Commentary
BEFORE THE LAST PASSOVER - THE SUPPER IN BETHANY,
1) "Now before the feast of the passover," (pro de tes heortes tou pascha) "Then before the feast of the passover," the last observed by our Lord, and two days before as disclosed, Mat 26:2; Mar 14:2.
2) "When Jesus knew that his hour was come," (eidos lesous hoti elthen autou he hora) "Jesus knowing that his hour was at hand," had arrived, Joh 7:8; Joh 12:23; Joh 17:1. The crisis hour had arrived, the breach with the ruling Jewish leaders was final.
3) "That he should depart out of this world unto the Father," (hina metabe ek tou kosmou toutou pros ton patera) "In order that he should leave this world and go out of it to the Father," from whom He came down, 2Co 8:9; Heb 1:1-3; It was a long awaited event of near four thousand years.
4) "Having loved his own which were in the world," (agapesas tous idious tous en to kosmo) "Having loved his own who were in the world," as a shepherd loves and lays down his life for his sheep, Joh 13:34; Joh 10:11; Joh 10:28-30; Rom 8:35-39.
5) "He loved them unto the end." (eis telos egapesen autous) "He loved them (with a priority love) unto the end," to the finish, or to the uttermost, to lay down His life for them, Joh 10:18.
JESUS WASHING FEET OF DISCIPLES LOVE IN HUMILIATION
Consult other comments:
Garner-Howes Baptist Commentary
The Garner-Howes Baptist Commentary of the Whole Bible was originally published as a 23-volume set by Albert Garner (principal author) along with J. C. Howes, G.F. Crumley, and Eugene Garner in 1985. The Blessed Hope Foundation has released this digital edition into the public domain.