John 10:38 Commentary - Garner-Howes Baptist Commentary
1) "But if I do," (ei de poio) "However if I do them," as I claim with many witnesses; 1) The prophets, 2) John the, Baptist, 3) The miraculous works that I do, 4) The testimony of the people made whole, etc.
2) "Though ye believe not me," (kan emoi me pisteuete) "Even if you do not believe in me," that I am the Son of God, Joh 6:69, my personal virgin birth, Isa 7:14; Mat 1:18-25; my lineage from David, Bethlehem of Judea, Mic 5:2; Mat 2:4-6; Luk 2:1-12; that I am the Water of Life, Bread of Life, and Light of the world, Joh 4:1 to Joh 6:71; Joh 8:1-59.
3) "Believe the works:” (tois ergois pisteuete) "You (are to) believe the works;- the miraculous deeds that I do, Joh 4:34; Joh 5:36; Joh 17:4-5; For these were works of power, with love and out-pouring compassion to help the needy, Joh 14:10-11; Joh 15:24.
4) "That ye may know, and believe," (hina gnote kai ginoskete) "In order that you all may know and continue to know," by the miracles that I have done, the prophecies I have fulfilled, and the testimony I have given, for this is why they were done, Mar 2:10-11; Joh 3:2; Joh 20:30-31.
5) "That the Father is in me, and I in him."(hoti en emoi ho pater kago en to patri) "That the Father is (exists) in me, and I exist in him," the one true God, Joh 10:30; 1Co 6:8; Joh 10:27-30; Joh 17:21; Joh 17:23, Col 2:9.
Consult other comments:
Garner-Howes Baptist Commentary
The Garner-Howes Baptist Commentary of the Whole Bible was originally published as a 23-volume set by Albert Garner (principal author) along with J. C. Howes, G.F. Crumley, and Eugene Garner in 1985. The Blessed Hope Foundation has released this digital edition into the public domain.