John 10:16 Commentary - Garner-Howes Baptist Commentary
1) "And other sheep I have," (kai alla probata echo) "And I have, hold, or possess other sheep," alluding to those Jews who had believed on Him, but for fear of being excluded from the synagogue, would not openly confess Him, be baptized, and commit themselves to follow Him in His new covenant church fellowship of worship and service, Joh 12:42.
2) "Which are not of this fold:" (a ouk estin ek tes aules tautes) "Which are not(exist not) out of this fold," or have not their being out of and from this fold, of which Jesus was "the door," entrance by faith, and "the head," "chief Shepherd," of the church, which He purchased with His own blood, Heb 13:20; Act 20:28; Eph 1:22-23; Eph 5:25; his house or sheepfold is the church, 1Ti 3:15; Heb 3:1-6; Mar 13:34-35.
3) "Them also I must bring," (kakeina dei me agagein) "Those also it behooves (becomes) me to bring," bring to follow me, those Messiah-believing Jews who, though believing He was the Savior, for fear of man, their own Jewish rulers, would not openly confess and be baptized into His church-fold fellowship of following disciples. They held back in horror of being branded outcasts, much as lepers, from all Jewish social and religious rights and privileges of synagogue membership, Joh 7:13; Joh 9:22; Joh 9:34-35; Joh 16:2; Joh 19:38.
4) ''And they shall hear my voice;”- (kai tes phones mou akousousin) "And they will heed my voice," to follow me, because they are my sheep, have already believed, as the aged Simeon and Anna did in His early childhood, Luk 1:25-38; And as three thousand did on the day of Pentecost, after His death on the cross and the Holy Spirit empowering of His church-fold, Act 2:1-4; Act 2:38-41.
5) "And there shall be one fold and one shepherd." (kai genesetai mia poimne eis poimen) "And there will be (come to exist) one flock, (and) one shepherd," Heb 3:1-6 refers to this house-fold that Jesus as Shepherd built, not two folds and two shepherds (as there were for a limited time), while the house-fold of Moses and house-fold of Jesus existed side by side, during the ministry of Christ, after He established the church, and before He abolished the Mosaic law program of worship, took it out of the way, nailing it to His cross, Col 2:14-17. There now exists only one church-fold from which neither Jew not Gentile is disbarred, Eph 4:4-5; Eph 1:22-23; Eph 2:16-22.
Consult other comments:
Garner-Howes Baptist Commentary
The Garner-Howes Baptist Commentary of the Whole Bible was originally published as a 23-volume set by Albert Garner (principal author) along with J. C. Howes, G.F. Crumley, and Eugene Garner in 1985. The Blessed Hope Foundation has released this digital edition into the public domain.